Mr. McGuire is a native of Ashland, Kentucky.
Washington and Lee School of Law, J.D. -1984.
Duke University, A.B., cum laude -1980.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE:
West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, and District of Columbia.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE:SELECTED COMMUNITY AND PROFESSIONAL WORK:
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Malaysia, 1980 - 1981.
82nd Airborne Division, 1st 505th Infantry, Fort Bragg, N.C., 1975 - 1978.
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
Huntington Museum of Art – Trustee, 1990 - 1997;
President, 1994 - 1997.
United Way of the River Cities - Fund-raising Captain, 1993 - 1994. Fund-raising special projects Captain, 1997 - 2002.
- Teubert Foundation for the Blind - Trustee, 1990 - present; Chairman of the Board, 1994 - present.
- Leadership Tri-State - Class Member, 1991 - 1992; Board Member, 1994 - 1999; Alumni Council Member, 1994 - present.
- Huntington Area Development Council (HADCO) – Board Member, 1990 - present. Executive Committee Member, 2004 - present.
- Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce - Board Member, 2000 - 2007.
- Guaranty Bank & Trust Company, Huntington - Incorporator/Director, 1998- 2009. Chairman of Board of Directors, 2008-2009.
- First Sentry Bank, Huntington Board Member, 2009 - present
- The First National Bank of Grayson, Kentucky - Director, 1996 - present.
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce - Director, 1996 - 2007.
- YMCA Huntington Youth Soccer – Coach,1997 - 2003; Founder - Middle School Soccer Program - 2002.
- Cabell County School System - Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce - Volunteer mentor for middle and high school students; guest speaker at schools concerning legal careers, 1998 to present.
- Huntington Municipal Development Authority - Member, 1999 - 2004.
- Cabell Family Resource Network - Board member, 2002 - present.
- Communities in Schools of Cabell County - Chairman, 2001 - 2005.
- Boy Scouts Tri-State Area - Legal Explorers Post – Leader, 2002 and 2003.
- Cabell County Bar Association, President, 1992 - 1993.
- West Virginia Bar Association, Membership Section Chairman, 1993 - 1994
- West Virginia Land and Mineral Owners Association – member, 2007 - present.
Enslow Park Presbyterian Church , Huntington, West Virginia - Elder, 1997 - 2000; 2005 - 2008; 2009 - 2011; Elected Clerk of Session 2005 and 2009 - 2011.
Huntington Lacrosse Club - Founded, organized and sponsored first secondary school lacrosse team in the Tri-State, March 2011
Ridgewood Road Neighborhood Watch Program - summer 2010 to present. Helped organize security camera, e-mail alert and watch program in 60 house area.
Member of District of Columbia, Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia State Bars; the West Virginia Bar Association; the American Bar Association; U.S. Supreme Court; United States Tax Court; International Court of Claims.
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
- “Conducting Telephonic Board of Directors Meetings” - The Practical Lawyer - publication date - December 2000. Also published in 2003 Edition of ALI-ABA Practice Checklist Manual on Advising Business Clients.
- West Virginia Media Guide for Reporting Legal Affairs, Co-Author-published in 1999 by West Virginia State Bar.
- “Conducting Meetings of Shareholders and Boards of Directors”, The Practical
- Lawyer - December, 1994; reprinted in The Best in D & O Duties and Liabilities, Bowne & Co. Publishing, 1997.
- West Virginia Banking Law Update, West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Business Law Update, Kentucky Bar Association regional Seminar
- Business Law - Cabell County Bar Association